Monday, October 17, 2016

Week Nine: Space Opera and the New Frontier

For this week, space opera, I read The Martian by Andy Weir. I never watched the movie and the only thing I know is that it is about a guy who is stuck in space. I read it and I found it interesting how the mood of the novel is kind of relaxing even though he should be panicking and everything because he is stuck in space alone and he will die soon if he has no food or water. Mark Watney is really funny, I feel like he doesn’t scared of anything, except dying of course. He is a chill dude and very positive. In my opinion, the novel is kind of heavy with scientific stuff, plus math. Some parts are hard to understand because of the science and math stuff.

The Martian has many different feels from many genres. There are many elements in the story that it takes from other genres. The first element that I found is that Mark Watney has to find his way back to earth, so I guess this can be includes in adventure genre because he is on a journey, a terrible journey to find his way home. Also, with Mark’s personalities and how he thinks and talks to other people in the novel, I think this will fall in comedy genre, it is entertaining and makes the story even more fun and relaxing. Space environment and science stuff make it into the sci-fi and science fantasy genre and it is drama because he has to deal with trying and struggling to survive.


The Martain is really entertaining, exciting, and fun to read in my opinion. I don’t know how the author created the story but it feels real to me and I like Mark, how he thinks and how he talks. His conversation with the people in NASA is really amusing. At first, I expected the Martian to be very serious and boring but it turned out that it is fun to read after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment