Monday, October 17, 2016

Week Eight: Contemporary Urban Fantasy

A myth is a traditional story that has been told from generations to generations.
It’s been so long that some stories, no one no longer knows of it is true or not. Myths are what you normally heard from older people when you are young and we children tend to believe that they are true. As we grow up, we are most likely to tell the stories that we heard from when we are young to our children too. In my country, most of the myths are kind of scary and adults use the myths to teach and trick the kids to do good thing or listen to them. It makes me feel dumb sometimes when I think about how I believe about it back then when I was younger than this. Like, asking yourself, how can I believe in that or how is the story even make sense.
But in the other hand, no matter how far the world has moved on, myths are still, always in use.

            For this week, I read Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. It told to be fantasy novel. The story is about two brothers, son of Anansi, the spider god. They had never met each other before until their dad died and this is the beginning of the story. When Charlie met Spider, a lot of things happened to his life it is not a good thing either. Spider seems to steal everything from Charlie and the thing which I think is the worst is that he stole Charlie’s fiancée, Rosie.


At first Neil Gaiman leads us to the real place on earth and then he brings us to the world of myth. That makes the reader slowly forgets about the real world when reading the story. I think the important thing I learn from this story is you have to think carefully before you make a wish or want something because you will never know if the thing you wish for is going to come true or not and it might also possible that it may cause your life to be good or bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment